The world of Information Technology is evolving at a fast pace. A desktop program, which used to be a sensation in the computing world, has been replaced by the straightforward and seemingly modest web-based application today. Companies, across the world, are quickly embracing the power of web applications for a number of reasons. We will address these reasons in a moment. But first, let’s understand what exactly a web-based application is.
Web-based Application – What is it?
A web-based application is a program that is stored on a remote server, rather than on a device’s memory and is accessed over the Internet using a web browser. In simple words, this application makes use of a web browser as a client. It can be accessed regardless of the user’s location or device. Popular examples of web-based applications include Gmail, Google Docs, Yahoo, FreshBooks, Facebook, Amazon, etc.
How can Web-Based Applications help your business?
Web-Based Applications can help your business in various ways, such as:
- With these applications, multiple users can access information in a uniform environment. Thus, the need for developing and testing the application for different operating systems is eliminated as user interaction can be done on any web browser.
- One of the major benefits of web-based apps is that they provide anytime, anywhere access to the users. Moreover, these can be accessed from any device. All that’s needed is an Internet connection. With this, real-time collaboration and location-agnostic work environments are facilitated, helping businesses to work and expand without geographical restrictions.
- The UI of web-based applications can be customized without any fuss, making it easier for businesses to give a tailor-made look and feel to the application which resonates with their brand image and identity. The cost of creating different interfaces for different user groups is reduced considerably, as a single interface can be customized for different users without incurring additional expenses.
- Web-based applications are less complicated than their traditional counterparts in terms of installation, upgrades, and maintenance. When a new version of the app is rolled out, it gets installed on the host server. This means that updating the application on every user’s device is no longer needed. Thus, installing as well as maintaining web-based apps is much simpler and quicker than installing and maintaining traditional application programs.
- By using web-based applications, businesses also eliminate space limitations as these are deployed on the server, which means to increase the capacity of the app, all that’s required is to upgrade the server hardware. As the organization scales up and workload increases, new servers can be added to increase the capacity of the app.
- As web-based applications are installed on dedicated servers, there is no need to monitor various client devices. Therefore, the security of these apps is much higher than desktop applications as these are constantly monitored and maintained by dedicated server administrators. Any potential risk or threat to security can, thus, be identified easily and quickly.
Web applications have become a necessity for modern-day businesses. These apps help organizations to streamline their processes, scale up their operations, work across platforms, access information sans geographical and time restrictions, and do a lot more, while significantly decreasing their costs.